Sunday, April 12, 2009

Post of Sound - Ronettes, Spector, Crystals













I just learned that Estelle Bennett (on the right side of picture) of the Ronettes died a couple months ago.
Her life was shitty after the group split, but at least she had memories like this:


Since thinking about The Ronettes leads me to thinking about Phil Spector, I want to recommend The Sound of Young America interview with Mick Brown, a Spector biographer. It's an interesting interview, especially if you don't know much about his crazy life story.

Lastly, here is one of the weirdest pop songs I've heard, He Hit Me (It Felt Like A Kiss):

It was written as a protest against abuse, but it's very odd to hear coming from the same women who sang the fluffy "Da doo ron ron."

EDIT: Wow, I made a timely blog post without even realizing it! Phil Spector found guilty of murder today.

No comments:

Post a Comment